CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Assignment #8-Louis Riel Interview



Hi, this is Amit broadcasting live with a new ghost today, Louis Riel.

Most of us would describe him as a vibrant and distinctive man. Louis Riel is seen to have many different characteristics and a personality that can not clearly be specified. I am shortly going to introduce this man before we move on to the interview.

Louis Riel, a Metis Leader, played a huge part in the foundation of Manitoba. He had supported the Metis people in the North-West Rebellion prior to getting back their respect from the Canadian government. The Dominion of Canada was strong but with the help of loyal supporters and friends, the Metis could get what they want . Louis Riel managed to claim vast properties for the Metis while also making sure they had equal rights. Though, why would Louis Riel stand up for them? One possible answer is that one-eighth of his blood was Metis . From what has been said so far, Louis Riel can definitely be described as a young, brave freedom fighter.

Be aware, because the following sentences might change your opinion about this guest. It is known to be that Louis tried to create a rebellion between the Native Americans and the Metis. This way he could come back into Canada after being sent away by the Canadian government. He tried creating many more rebellions that would benefit him in securing land titles in Saskatchewan. Louis Riel eventually got caught and soon was severely punished. The Metis were sad to know that a traitor was representing their heritage for such a long time. Louis Riel also led to the execution of Thomas Scott. Nobody had any sympathy left for this man, and in punishment, he was hung. :(


Now we will proceed on to the interview with Louis Riel!

Amit-Hello Louis, I am honoured to have you as a live ghost for us on today's special show

Louis Riel- Well thank you, I was really looking forward to this day

Amit- I have a few questions , I hope you don't mind answering them for us

Louis Riel- Oh not at all, please proceed

Amit- Could you clarify for us why people look to you as having two different personality traits. For example, you were the same person who led to the execution of Thomas Scott and the same person who gave the Metis "equal rights". Would you call yourself a hero or a villain?

Louis Riel- Wow, slow down there a bit! It's a long story, though people can go ahead and think what they want. I helped the Metis because I believed in what was right. I stood up for them and gave them some confidence. It just turned out be that there were some minor interferences. I don't know if that was something very heroic but I'm sure it was something brave and nice. What might change your opinion is the execution of Thomas Scott. I think it was truly selfish of him to try and overthrow my provisional government. By the way, it's not like it was entirely my fault. Well maybe it was, and I'm starting to regret it. (Tears) . I guess it might be true, I was also a traitor to the Metis, and a villain to Canada. PLEASE do not forget the good things I have done in my life.(forming the province Manitoba)

Amit-: I understand, but sometimes we have to get over it and move on in life. Well for you, it's a special case, because your life is unfortunately over. Anyways, how do you feel about a day that is named after you. Do you think you deserve to be remembered?

Louis Riel: I am delighted to know that there is one whole day named after me. Even till today kids are looking back and remembering the good side of me. Sorry, I don't want to break out into tears of joy but their is no other way of expressing my happiness. Some people look up to me as a role model and I am really grateful for that. Though most recognize me for being colourful, and I guess that could be something to appreciate. I know that the exciting events in my life can be very interesting and maybe that is why I was remembered. Near death, nobody had any pity left for me. The execution of Thomas completely changed how I was viewed by the government . What made them more angry was that I came back into Canada to institute the North-West Rebellion. I'm sorry, but it's hard to tell you if I deserve to be remembered.

Amit- We heard that you started your own government when you were the leader of the Metis. Can you precisely tell us why?

Louis Riel: When the Metis were under my leadership, I formed a provisional government. It's main goal negotiated the terms of Manitoba entering Canadian confederation. The government had a list of rights. This included managing the Metis' lives and protecting their civil liberties. I was afraid that United States might ask us to join confederation with them so I made this provisional government. It lasted long enough to establish the Legislative Assembly of Assiniboia which passed laws. There is an argument on whether the provisional government was legal or not, but I am not here to discuss that. Thank you very much and that is all I have to say

Louis Riel: Well folks, this show is almost over and so is my time in this world. I can only visit Earth one day of the year, LOUIS RIEL DAY!

Amit: Louis, I hope you know that we will remember you centuries beyond this point. Thank you very much for being here with us today. Lets give a huge round of applause for Mr.Riel.
(Audience claps)

Amit: Good night ladies and gentlemen. I'll being seeing you on Victoria day with the live ghost of.... Queen Victoria!!






1 comments:

Shauna Pollock said...

I look forward to Victoria Day!

This is a fun way to put together a very informative project. Well done.